The Georgia Department of Revenue, Motor Vehicle Division has issued an updated Motor Vehicle Manual. This manual is detailed and addresses the State's requirements for titling and registering vehicles in the State of Georgia.
To view this manual online click "Motor Vehicle Online Manual".
Georgia Insurance Requirements
Georgia law requires continuous Georgia liability insurance coverage on motorized vehicles registered in the State of Georgia.
Failure to maintain continuous coverage may result in penalties and possibly the suspension of the vehicle registration.
Insurance information cards are not acceptable proof of Georgia liability insurance coverage for the registration and/or registration renewal of motor vehicles. Insurance cards should be retained and available when the following situations apply:
- When traveling outside the state of Georgia
- Exchange of information when involved in an accident
- Vehicles covered with a fleet insurance policy
- Vehicles covered on a self-insured insurance policy
Insurance companies are required by Georgia law to electronically transmit insurance information into the Georgia Electronic Insurance Compliance System (GEICS) for verification of valid insurance coverage. All motor vehicle offices are required by the State of Georgia to verify proof of insurance coverage as indicated electronically in the state’s database before any vehicle registration transaction can be completed.
Click here to check your vehicle insurance status. (Must enter VIN in state database)
Georgia law allows insurance companies thirty days to electronically transmit proof of insurance into the state’s database. When the Georgia state database does not indicate valid insurance on a vehicle, the following documents are acceptable proof of valid insurance to register and/or renew a vehicle registration:
- 30-Day Insurance Binder –The insurance company may provide an insurance binder for a new insurance policy issued. The effective date of the insurance binder must be less than thirty days.
- 30-Day Declaration Page – When a vehicle is added to an existing insurance policy, a declarations page with an effective date less than thirty days may be provided.
- A Georgia Fleet insurance card may be provided. The card must reflect “Georgia” and “Fleet”.
- A self-insured information card and a Certificate of Self-Insurance issued by the Insurance Commissioner’s Office may be provided.