Surety/Bonded Vehicle Title
Title When the proper supporting documents required by law for the issuance of a certificate of title for a motor vehicle required to be title in Georgia cannot be obtained, a certificate of title may be applied for on the basis of a surety bond. Titles based on a surety bond should be applied for at the County Tag Office where the applicant resides. To get a title based on a surety bond the following criteria must be met:
- The owner must be a legal resident of Georgia.
- The vehicle must require a Georgia title.
- The vehicle cannot be a 1985 or older year model vehicle.
- The vehicle cannot be an abandoned vehicle.
- Vehicles should not be bonded for the last two current years. (example: 2017 and 2018)
The following information should be submitted to the County Tag Office where the applicant resides:
- Form MV-1 Title/Tag Application – The applicant names on this form must agree with the names of the principals shown on Form MV-46 Certificate of Title Bond.
- Form MV-46 Certificate of Title Bond – Must be executed by an insurance company licensed to conduct business and issue surety insurance in the State of Georgia designating the vehicle owner’s legal name as principal
- Regardless of condition, the bond must be written in an amount equal to two times the average value of the vehicle (determined by Georgia’s Title and Registration Information System or the National Automobile Dealers Association (N.A.D.A.) appraisal guide or $5,000, whichever is greatest. For verification of the bond amount, the insurance company may contact the Motor Vehicle Division at (855) 406-5221.
- The vehicle owner and the insurance company agent must sign Form MV-46 Certificate of Title Bond in the designated spaces. If jointly owned, each owner must sign.
- Form MV-46 Certificate of Title Bond must be signed by the principal (applicant) and the agent for the insurance company. These signatures are required to be witnessed (attested).
- A power of attorney authorizing the agent to write the bond on behalf of the insurance company must be attached to the bond.
- The reason why a bond is necessary must be shown on Form MV-46A Certificate of Title Bond Affidavit.
- Must be completed in the same name as the name shown on Form MV-46 Certificate of Title Bond.
- Form MV-46A Certificate of Title Bond Affidavit must be signed by the applicants with all signatures notarized.
- The Georgia title must be applied for within six months of the date of the bond.
- Form T-22B Certification of Inspection must be completed by a Georgia law enforcement officer after making a visual inspection of the vehicle’s serial plate.
- If Form T-22B Certification of Inspection indicates that the serial plate is missing, Form T-128 Missing Serial Plate Affidavit is also required. The vehicle’s current title may be submitted in lieu of Form T-22B Certification of Inspection.
- Surety Bond Power of Attorney completed by the insurance or bonding company, authorizing the agent to issue the title bond on behalf of the insurance or bonding company is required.
- National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) report or an equivalent commercially available system authorized by the Department to determine the current title of record and the state of issuance is required. (Note: Mobile homes and trailers are exempt from this requirement).
- If the report indicates the title of record is from a jurisdiction other than Georgia, the application for a Georgia Certificate of Title must be accompanied by a certified title history from the state of issuance.
- If the Georgia or other state-certified title history indicates a security interest or lien, (Form T-4 Notice of Satisfaction of Security Interest or Lien Holder Affidavit) must be included releasing the lien.
- Ownership Documents - All available ownership papers (i.e. title, bill of sale, certificate of registration, lien release, etc.) must be submitted.
- Fees - Contact your County Tag Office for acceptable methods of payment. The fees are as follows:
- $18.00 title application fee when the vehicle requires a title and application is made within 30 days of the date of purchase or ownership transfer;
- $20.00 license plate/registration decal fee; or $5.00 license plate transfer fee;
- If a title is not applied for within 30 days of purchase date, a title penalty fee of $10.00;
- Any penalty fees due for late registration renewal or late application for title.
- Taxes - Subject to Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT), Annual Motor Vehicle Ad Valorem Tax, or Georgia Sales and Use Tax.