The Georgia Department of Revenue, Motor Vehicle Division has issued an updated Motor Vehicle Manual. This manual is detailed and addresses the State's requirements for titling and registering vehicles in the State of Georgia.
To view this manual online click "Motor Vehicle Online Manual".
Non-Probated Will With Limited Assets
In order for a Georgia certificate of title to be issued on a vehicle that has been inherited, where the deceased left a will with limited assets that is not to be probated, the inheritor may obtain a title in their name by submitting the following to the County Tag Office where the applicant resides:
- Application - Completed Form MV-1 Tag and Title Application.
- Transfer Document - The title, if available, or manufacturer’s statement of origin (MSO) should be submitted. The supporting document must be issued in the deceased’s name or properly assigned to the deceased. If the vehicle is titled in Georgia in the deceased’s name, the title should be submitted, if it is available.
- Lien Release – Any liens or security interests shown on the Georgia title must be released in the spaces provided on the title, or Form T-4 Notice of Satisfaction of Security Interest or Lienholders Affidavit must be completed and signed by the lienholder or security interest holder.
- Affidavit of Inheritance – Completed Form T-20 Affidavit of Inheritance in the inheritor’s name. If there is only one heir a certified copy of No Administration Necessary may be submitted in lieu of the Affidavit of Inheritance.
- A Copy of the Non-probated Will with Limited Assets.
- Death Certificate – A certified copy of the death certificate must be submitted anytime Form T-20 Affidavit of Inheritance is used.
- Emissions inspection (not required in Columbia County)
- Proof of Insurance, by one of the following:
• Filed by the insurance company directly in the Department’s database.
• Insurance binder showing insurance liability coverage.
- Fees - The fees are as follows: $18.00 title application fee when the vehicle requires a title and application is made within 30 days of the date of purchase or ownership transfer; $20.00 license plate/registration decal fee; or $5.00 license plate transfer fee; If a title is not applied for within 30 days of purchase date, a title penalty fee of $10.00; Any penalty fees due for late registration renewal or late application for title. Columbia County accepts local checks, money orders, cash and credit cards.
- Taxes – Subject to Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT), Annual Motor Vehicle Ad Valorem Tax, or Georgia Sales and Use Tax.
Note: If the inheritor of the vehicle is not a resident of Georgia, a title is required to be obtained in the inheritor’s name in their state of residency before selling or transferring the ownership of the vehicle to a Georgia resident.