The buyer of a motor vehicle from an estate must apply for a Georgia certificate of title in their name within 30 days of the purchase of the vehicle. Failure to do so will result in a $10.00 title penalty fee being assessed.
Note: A title penalty fee for failure to apply for a title within 30 days does not apply to an inheritor making application for title.
Types of Inheritance Documents
• Form T-20 Affidavit of Inheritance can be used to transfer ownership to the inheritor when the deceased left no will or left a will that is not to be probated because it contains only limited assets. If the will is not to be probated because it contains only limited assets, a copy of the non-probated will must accompany Form T-20 Affidavit of Inheritance. A certified copy of the deceased’s death certificate must accompany this completed and signed form.
• No Administration Necessary - If there is only one heir, a certified copy of No Administration Necessary may be submitted in lieu of Form T-20 Affidavit of Inheritance.
• Letters of Testamentary/Administration.
• Year’s Support – Document awarding a widow/widower support and authorization to title a motor vehicle in their name.
• Probated Last Will and Testament.
Letter from the City or County Clerk’s Office
A letter from the City or County Clerk’s Office is always required when the vehicle is titled in the name of a company and the sole owner of the company is deceased. The death certificate must also be submitted. The signed letter must state that ‘said’ individual, as shown on the death certificate, was the sole owner of the company.