Non-Resident Active Duty Servicemembers

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Non-Resident Active Duty Military Servicemembers

Welcome to Georgia and Columbia County!

Non-resident Military Personnel - As a non-resident active duty servicemember stationed in Georgia pursuant to your military orders, you are not required to register your vehicle(s) in this state as long as your vehicle visibly displays a valid license plate from your home of record state. 

If you choose to register your vehicle(s) in Georgia, you must comply with all requirements of vehicle registration and apply at the Columbia County Motor Vehicle Office if you reside in Columbia County. 

The links below list some basic requirements to assist you in the Georgia registration of your vehicle.

Georgia Title

To register your vehicle in Georgia your current vehicle’s title (out-of-state or out-of-country) must be transferred to a Georgia title. The links below will provide the requirements for an out-of-state and/or out-of-country title transfer.

Out-of-State Title Transfer

Imported Vehicles – Out-of-Country Title Transfers

Proof of Insurance

All vehicles registered in Georgia must be covered with a Georgia insurance policy. The insurance coverage must be electronically transmitted into the Georgia Electronic Insurance Compliance System (GEICS).

A 30-day binder may be submitted with an effective date of less than 30-days for new insurance policies as proof of Georgia liability insurance. The link below will provide additional information on insurance requirements.

Georgia Liability Insurance

Registration Renewals

The links below provide additional information on your motor vehicle registration and annual renewal of your vehicle registration.

Vehicle Registrations Information

Registration Renewals


Non-resident military personnel who are stationed in Georgia based on military orders, may be exempt from paying ad valorem tax on vehicles he/she owns.

The links below provide additional information on tax exemptions for non-resident active duty military personnel.

 Active Non-Resident Service Members Tax Exemption

 For additional information call the Motor Vehicle Office between the hours of 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).

The telephone number is (706) 868-6884.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer